Welcome to Chewandswallow! {Weather Alert!}


Can I just say that I LOVE science??? I also think that my students have inherited the "science gene" because they just can't wait until we get to our science time each day. This week, we began our four week unit on weather. When I found out that our first science unit was weather my mind immediately went to the land of Chewandswallow! What kid wouldn't love a town that rained food??? Never mind kids...can I move there??? {Seriously...this whole cooking bit every night...not my idea of a good time!} :) So, to get my kids super excited about weather, I transformed our room into this lovely little town right out of the story Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs!  Let's just say...the "flying spaghetti" had them at hello! They were thrilled to see the transformation and even more excited to learn about weather. Thank yooouuu YouTube for some crazy amazing weather intros! Here are a few pictures of what has been happening in our room.


Even poor ol' Clifford was covered from head to toe in spaghetti!

Who knew that yarn could look so much like spaghetti???

Giant meatball anyone???

My favorite! Strawberry Milkshake!


Now for the academics!

We have been super busy learning lots of new vocabulary words. Each day, we add a new word to our list. This little four square method has worked extremely well and the students are really taking hold of so many content words!
{Click on the picture to download}
Clipart Courtesy of Scrappin' Doodles

As I introduce new words each day, the students add our new words to our "In the Spotlight" bulletin board. We review these words each day and I quickly reinforce each term and concept! Definitely have to keep it fresh for these youngsters!


We have also been busy writing our very own tall tales about towns that rain food. Well...my football players decided that a town that rained athletic equipment sounded like a better idea! Hey...if it excites them about writing and ignites their creative flow...I am ALL for it!  We have completed our brainstorming and the students are well on their way to some pretty hilarious stories. I will definitely have to post some for you to read when they are finished! Until then, you can click on the picture below to download our thinking map used for brainstorming.
Clipart Courtesy of Scrappin' Doodles

A Student Version

Tomorrow, the students will be divided into "Expert Groups" where they will research their specialty area! They will be grouped using their "Meteorologist" Badges!

I can't wait to begin creating all of our weather instruments next week! Such a fun unit! Any more fun weather ideas out there???? Let me know!

5 comments:

  1. Hope, your classroom transformation is amazing! Looks like your kiddos are having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMAZING!!! I love your energy and enthusiasm for teaching weather - it is one of my least favorites so I need to bottle some of this up!!!! You make it look so fun - can you come teach it to my first graders??? :)
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, just thought I'd stop by and let you know that I've chosen you for the Versatile Blogger Award! Stop by my blog and check it out!

    Kendra at Light a Candle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found this on Pinterest today! I am going to use your Story Map type page with my firsties this week! Thanks so much.

    Brenda
    You Might Be a First Grader...

    ReplyDelete