Buyers and Sellers

Last week, we finished up our big social studies unit on economics. The kiddos have been working hard for  the past few weeks learning all about buyers, sellers, factories and businesses, advertisements, currency, and much, much more! It was a pretty intense study, but I don’t even think that they realized how detailed the information was, because they were way too busy having fun!

We completed our unit by having the students put their new learning to good use through a project-based learning project. The students designed a business that would appeal to a first grade audience. We had some very creative ideas and had the perfect mix of both goods and services. The students then designed advertisements and commercials to display and broadcast to our firstie buddies. In addition to the business creation, our kids were also in charge of designing a currency which the first graders worked to earn through good behavior and work in their classroom. Finally on Friday, we set up the classroom “business style” and the firsties came to purchase their favorite goods and services! It was such a rewarding experience for the students and they really learned the value of proper planning and good customer service.

Here are a few pictures from our afternoon.

Slide11Here is a look at the currency that the students designed. {Who is that historical hero on the $5 bill? I should have been the $10, but I guess our principal was MVP for our currency!} Ha!

Slide4  Slide7

Here are the girls behind “Fashion Story”. The duct tape bracelets were a hit! They were our highest profit of the day!

Slide6

Our St. Pat’s Day cookies and green lemonade! {Funny story: The “boss” of this little business kept raising the price with each customer. I heard him charge one little 7 bucks for a cookie! I thought I would die! It was super cute and oh so funny! We had to have a little chat about maintaining consistent pricing! Can we say money hungry???…sheesh!}

Slide8

One of the services for the day was origami lessons. I was a little worried about whether or not my kids would actually teach the firsties! I should know better than to underestimate my little darlings! They were amazing!

Slide8

Another big money maker was Super Star Nails! They made the MOST adorable commercial that featured some pretty big names in the celebrity world!  Oh the power of persuasion! They are scary good at that!  :)

Slide9 Slide7

AND…finally at the end of the day…it was all about profit! The students divided the money equally and spent some time shopping around the room as well!

money

This will definitely be a yearly event!

This week, we are into all things measurement and loving some poetry. I am putting the finishing touches on two new units and hope to have them up by the weekend! Here is a peek!

iPoetry

Measure Up

7 school days until SB! :)

13 comments:

  1. I love these ideas!! It looks like everything came together SO well and I'm sure they will remember this unit for a long time! :)

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like such a fun idea for second graders and it looks like they had a great time too!!!

    I definitely need to remember this!


    ✰Amber
    Sparkles , Smiles, and Student Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to sit in on your class for a day Hope! Everything you do with your kids is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great idea and valuable learning experience. I love it when you can make learning so meaningful!

    -Krista
    The Second Grade Superkids

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope I second Kristen!! You have some amazing ideas!!


    Miss J

    Smiles, Crayons, and Endless Stories

    ReplyDelete
  6. iPoetry looks great! And i may need the Measure It, too!!
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea!! Every year I struggle with making our Economics unit a bit more exciting and this looks like a winner!! It makes such a difference in their learning.

    Corinna
    Surfin' Through Second

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved reading this post! You are awesome! :)

    Mary
    Mrs. Lirette's Learning Detectives

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope.. I've just awarded you with THe Lovely Blog Award!! Head on over to my blog to check it out!! Congrats!

    Courtney
    Teaching in Paradise

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi1 I am your newest follower. I am a second grade teacher from Idaho. I hope you will visit my second grade blog at bubbalulu.blogspot.com.

    I love the culminating activity for your social studies unit. I have done a store a couple of times, but never thought of providing services as well. I hope you don't mind I would like to do something similiar (this spelling doesn't look right). Thanks for the wonderful ideas on your blog.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your buyers and sellers unit is just what I am looking for. Will you have this available on your TPT store? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Alicia! Love TPT and you do a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this! Do you have any of the resources you used for sale? I didn't see any on your TPT page.

    ReplyDelete