A Seuss-tastic Week it Was!

Just so you know…my room is filled with 18 Seuss lovin’ kiddos! They would honestly LOVE IT if we came back ready for week 2 of Seuss! However, testing is next week and so we must get our game faces on and brush up on all things essential this week! I must admit…I loved it just as much as they did! Here is a look at all of the crazy Seuss inspired learning that we did last week!

We began the week with some figurative language study to truly appreciate the work of Dr. Seuss. We discussed alliteration {the kiddos fave} and several other types of figurative language to better our descriptive writing. Thanks to Cara, Jodi, and A Teacher’s Treasure for some great ideas to practice this skill!

  Slide1 Slide3 Slide2

In social studies, we have been studying communities. It was a perfect fit for us to discuss the community of Whoville. After reading Horton Hears a Who, the kiddos created their own version of a Whoville community. After they designed their town, the students wrote a descriptive paragraph which had to include, alliteration, similes, metaphors and personification to describe their visualization of the Who’s town.

Here is my student teacher’s example:

Slide14   town

Here are a few of the kid’s designs and writings:

Slide15         Slide16

I loved seeing all of their Who businesses and factories! Next week, our students will be creating their own business and corporation that they think will be a perfect fit in our school community! I can’t wait to see what they come up with! 

Along with our sneak peek inside Whoville activity, I bought the Gylph Girls Horton Hears a Who Glyph and look at these cuties that we made!

Slide6      Slide7

Slide8      Slide9

The next morning, the glyphs were in the hallway. The students were so excited to interpret each glyph and collect their data! So super fun!

Slide5

Another class favorite of the week: The Lorax. Could this have anything to do with the new movie premiere??? I think so!!! :)

Since we will be doing lots of activities that correlate with this book on Earth Day, I wanted to focus on the actual story itself. After we read the story together, the students completed a story elements truffula tree and wrote about what they would do if they were given the very last truffula seed.

Slide17     Slide18    Slide19

But…my favorite writing of the week had to be our Oh The Places I’ll Go writings. These went right along with our time capsule that I posted about earlier in the week. Just in case you missed it…here is the finished project!

Slide20    Slide21

On Friday, we ended our Seuss week with the our  Reader’s Theater presentations that they had been practicing all week! We saw a performance of The Lorax, Green Eggs and Ham, and Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss. They really got into their scripts and we had some super cute performances.

Slide10    Slide11

We had a wonderful time reflecting on all of the wonderful themes that Dr. Seuss included in his work! As much as the littles enjoyed all of our writing and reading projects, I would have to say that our science integration was a favorite across the board! On Friday, we read The Butter Battle Book and Bartholomew and the Oobleck. Both books were perfect introductions to some messy hands-on experiments.

After reading The Butter Battle Book {which is too cute for words}, we wanted to graph whether the students were butter-side up or butter-side down kind of peeps. Well, in order to do this…we needed…BUTTER! I just so happened to have some heavy whipping cream and glass jars in the classroom. :) After discussing how butter was created long ago, the students made a hypothesis about how they could create butter out of the materials they were given. Of course they all decided that they would shake their jar to see if it would turn the liquid into a solid. {Sidenote: I usually try to experiment with a project ahead of time, but with all of the craziness of this week, it just didn’t happen! I was a hopin’ and a prayin’ that this would work…and y’all it was AMAZING…almost like magic…it worked perfectly! You’ve just GOT to do this with your kids!

shake, shake, shake….shake, shake, shake….SHAKE YOUR BUTTER!

Slide5    Slide6    Slide7

Slide8     Slide9

The finished product…is this not amazing?!?

Slide1

After our butter was made, the students confirmed their hypothesis, decided whether they preferred butter-side up or down, and we graphed the results!

Our last big experiment of the week was of course…Oobleck! Since we already made Oobleck for Halloween, we took our experiment a step further to see which objects would sink and which objects would float in this sometimes a liquid and sometimes a solid creation! We used this wonderful little mini designed by Vickie Plant to guide our experiment! Is completely FREE and full of awesomeness. Check it out HERE

Slide12      Slide13

Slide2

Slide3

  So…here is what I was left with after a fun-filled week and Seuss-tastic celebration on Friday! And that is just in the sink! :)

Slide4

Looking back at all of these pictures, I can’t help but ask myself…did all of this really go down in just one week?!? Thank the good Lawd there are two of us in my classroom! Can’t wait for Seuss 2013!

Happy Sunday, bloggy friends!

15 comments:

  1. I feel like I've just been mentioned by a celebrity!! I'm so glad you were able to use the experiment pages. My kiddos had tons of fun with it too, except for my little one who started crying after I let them feel it and explore. He hated it, poor thing!
    Vickie
    Mrs. Plant's Press
    P.S. - You really make me want to teach 2nd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My class is also filled with Seuss lovers! It's funny..... no one seemed to care about Dr. Seuss before last Monday! :) All of your activities look amazing. I think I might try the butter one! My class will lose it, haha.

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally got your time capsule!! I can't wait to start it this week :)

    ♥ Jen
    The Teachers' Cauldron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the ideas! And...thanks for the shout out :)

    Jodi
    fun-in-first.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh... I love it all- the Hortons, Who-ville, the lorax, the hats, oobleck, places you'll go- EVERYTHING! I was so going to do that alliteration activity, but completely ran out of time :( I'll have to remember it for next year!

    Looks like y'all had tons of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have given you an award. Come on over and check it out!

    Courtney
    3rd Grade Sprinkles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like your class had a blast! Everything looks awesome. :) have a great week!


    Second Grade Sugar and Spice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Where did you get the patterns for the Lorax/Truffula Tree activity? They are so cute! I'm going to do a Lorax unit for Earth Day and would love to use this writing activity. Thank you for all ypur great ideas!

      Delete
  8. It looks like y'all had such a FUN time! Love the butter experiment. I have never read the butter battle book! (Gasp!) Gotta get on that!
    Rowdy in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope, We know you are one of the "big dogs" in the blogging world, but we would love for you to accept this award from us! We LOVE your blog! Please come on over claim your award!
    3 Teacher Chicks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where did you get the pattern for the Lorax Writing and Readers Theater? I LOVE your Dr. Seuss unit, awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have some great bulletin boards and fun activities! You should come link up!
    Busy Bee Bulletin Linky

    ReplyDelete