Field Trip & Animal Unit

Last Tuesday was FINALLY the day that my second graders have been waiting for since December (and the day I had been having nightmares about since March!)…our field trip to the Atlanta Zoo and Georgia Aquarium. The trip was more than wonderful and their reactions were priceless! Definitely worth every. single. bit of the planning! Most of our students have never been outside of the state and many have never seen outside of our small town. So to be able to provide them with this type of learning experience was more rewarding for me as a teacher than for those sweet kiddos! 

Here are a few pictures from our day! (I so HATE that I can’t show you their facial expressions…adorbs!)

We began at the zoo and saw lots of animals that we had been learning about for weeks. Here are a few of my fave.

Slide1 Slide2

Slide3 Slide4

The weather was perfect and the animals were very active. From there, we headed to Centennial Olympic Park in Atlanta to have lunch and walk to the Georgia Aquarium.

Slide5

They about had a fit when they laid eyes on the aquarium!

We began our time at the aquarium with a behind the scenes look at the large exhibits that they would see later on. Umm…can I just say this was probably THE coolest thing that I have ever done on a field trip! My student teacher and I were just as amazed as the students were!

Slide7

Slide10  Slide11

We were so super close to these Whale Sharks. They are way cooler above the water than through the glass!

Slide9

We also got to see how they create the wave effects in one of the exhibits below.

Slide8

Next was the 3-D movie! It was so cute to see the kiddos try to reach out and touch things! Definitely a favorite! Even if we did get a little wet! Smile

Slide12

As if the day could get any better, next we were on our way to the dolphin show! They seriously go ALL OUT during this musical/dolphin showdown!

Slide13 Slide14

Then finally, we were off to explore the exhibits…which included a beluga whale due any day with a 500 pound baby! Let’s just take a second and say a little prayer for this lady! Ha!

Slide15 Slide16

Slide1  Slide2

They even had scuba divers come and wave to the kids! Precious!

Slide3

And this is what happened on the way home! I would say it was a great day! Isn’t that the sweetest thing you have ever seen??? Love this child!

If you are interested in any of the activities that we did during our animal unit prior to our trip, I have compiled everything into a 153 page unit…and it’s still growing! You can check it out below and pick it up at TPT!

Slide1

Slide2

Slide3

Can’t wait for our next trip! Happy Sunday, sweet friends!

13 comments:

  1. WOW!! What a huge fieldtrip. It looks like y'all had so much fun. The only field trip we get is to the local theater! Y'all are very blessed. Loved looking at the pictures!

    Cynthia

    2nd Grade Pad

    ReplyDelete
  2. So envious of your field trip - that looks like great fun! Your animal unit looks terrific, too!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was such a great trip! Cynthia, I hate that y'all can't go anywhere that is not local! The kids learn so much! Maybe that will change! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a huge smile on my face as I was reading this post! It sounds like you guys had so much fun! What a terrific experience you provided your students with. They are so blessed to have you as a teacher!

    Delighted in Second

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Georgia Aquarium is one of the coolest places ever! No wonder the kids loved it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like your class had a GREAT time!! I love the giraffe pics... they're my favorite!!
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love fieldtrips, but boy do they wear me out! I'm sure I would look just like the little boy at the end of your post if I was on this fieldtrip. Looks like lots of fun!!
    Connie :)
    www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have loved to been on that field trip. I love the Georgia Aquairum. The whale sharks are my favorite. Last time, I took my class to the zoo was several years ago and our bus broke down on the highway. : ( It was atrue adventure.

    Cara
    The Teacher's Backpack

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are jumping into an Africa/Habitat unit for Open House. Your packet is perfect. Love. Love. LOVE the photo of the zonked out kiddo. It always cracks me up when the bus is super loud on the way out and super quiet on the way home. Thanks for sharing.

    Kelley Dolling
    Teacher Idea Factory

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks fantastic, sweet friend! As always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, those are amazing photos! Reminds me of when I was chaperone for my brothers school trip to the zoo here in PA. They allowed us to let our buses through a small safari. Pretty cool! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete