A Little Talk About the Birds and the Bees

Yes…yes…we start them early at my school! :) This week, we have been all into plants! We even discussed…dare I say it…reproduction! Sorry parents…hope that didn’t begin any continuing conversations/questions! Ha! Seriously though, plants have been a lot of fun!

We planted a few seeds two weeks ago and the kids have been recording plant episodes (journals) on the iPad! They wear special glasses and everything {they are kind of a big deal} so that they can look just like a real scientist! They totally play the part as they describe the life cycle that they are observing! We will put our clips into final episodes once our plants have completed the entire life cycle! This was a nice change from written journals and the kids are loving it!

Then, yesterday (after our talk about the birds and the bees) we learned about how the color/smell of plants attracts insects, birds, and other animals which is essential in the reproduction of seeds. To nail down this concept, we did a little lesson on pollination (thanks to one of my sweet parents)!

Slide6

(You call this disgusting…we call it pollination!)

The kids each began the lesson with a flower di-cut, juice box, and Cheetos on their desk.  Of course, the flowers’ color and smell attracted the students. Once the students “landed” on their flower, they drank a little bit of nectar (juice box).

Slide4   Slide8

As they were drinking, pollen just happened to find it’s way onto their fingers. For this part, the students were instructed to eat their Cheetos without wiping their hands. The cheese dust = pollen!

Slide7

After they finished their juice box, they flew around the room to other flowers. When they landed on other flowers, (a.k.a. wiped their hands on another flower) they saw the power of pollination!

Slide5

I’d say the concept stuck! ;)

Today we began plant adaptations. We watched a few videos and did a little notebooking! Here is the chart that we completed. If you would like a copy, click on the pictures below!

Slide1

Slide2

I am hoping to be back tomorrow to share all of the writing that we have been working on over the past two weeks! Have a great Wednesday!

13 comments:

  1. Wow! Great hands-on idea to teach the concept! I really enjoyed reading this, it was impressive! Please stop by for a visit!
    Amy Howbert

    Little Miss Organized
    amyhowbert1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing idea! I bet your kids will remember pollination well! Thanks so much for sharing Hope!

    œKaryn
    A is for Apple B is for Blog
    Kideducator@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! This is something they will not forget anytime soon! Great conceptual learning going on in your room! You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic, Hope! I love your ideas. I'm pinning it!

    Teacher Kirra:Maestra Kirra

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute idea! These are the things that make me miss teaching science.

    Don't Let The Teacher Stay Up Late

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. I am love with this idea! I only hope that I remember it when it comes time to teach it in the spring!! I love all your ideas and the inspiration that it sparks within me! :)

    Just over the past few months, by reading yours, and several other blogs, I have been inspired to start my own! :)

    http://survivingthelittlepeople.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so amazing and awesome on this article...You really fascinated your student's curiosity and creativity. I love to talk about bees... I really appreciate your thoughts here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great idea! What a neat way to show pollination. I need to remember this for future use.

    Meghan
    Learning and Teaching for Life

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Hope!

    I love the idea of doing plant episodes! Do you have any resources that you can share with me? What app did the kids use to record? Do you have a paper that tells them what your expectations are? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! I just taught this last week and wish I'd found you earlier (story of my life!). Definitely following you for more great ideas. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pinterest blocked your site due to possible "inappropriate content" ha! Great activity.

    ReplyDelete