A Riddle Review

Well, my goal was to survive the first day back, and I did just that...I survived! I am not gonna lie, this morning was pretty painful. I did not like that 5:00 a.m. wake up call! I think tomorrow will be a little easier...I am hopeful! ;) 

Today we were all into new year's resolution writings, but we also had a lot of review to catch up on before we continue in our geometry unit. One of our absolute favorite activities {for review} is our riddle review. They cheer when they see it set up. No joke! I love it too! It is super easy and probably one of the best ways that I have found to get a little informal assessment on my guys before we move on. 


So it looks a little something like this, along with a riddle written on the board. Each card has a matching letter tile. Once the student answers the question correctly, they collect that letter tile. 

Here is a closer look at the strategy cards. 

Once they have collected each tile, they solve the riddle. Annnd...they can't wait to tell you the answer! We have had a few discussions about what a whisper sounds like! ;) 


After each student has had a chance to solve the riddle, we check over our cards as a class. During this time, I address some of the errors or common misconceptions that I noticed. {Gotta love that instant feedback}. 


Finally, we place all of the strategy cards into a Ziploc bag and staple it into our math journals. This is the perfect little study guide for a test!

This activity takes about 30 minutes and is the perfect review! I love, love, love, how simple it is and how it allows me to address any areas of weakness before the test! 

Now a little random note....

Thanks so much to all of you who entered into the musical giveaway on Sunday! 

My Winner is Amy Tix! Amy, your goodies are on the way! 

If you would like to check out these units, you can click on the pictures below! 



Have a great week, y'all! :) 

11 comments:

  1. I love that idea! What a fun way to review!
    Jessica
    Literacy Spark

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the riddle review. I love how the way you do riddles is so different than the way I do with my Firsties...I might have to change it up on them some. =)

    Thank you for always sharing such creative ideas Hope. I am sure having been with your group for so long you have to really be on your toes with new ideas! =)

    Blessings,

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet! It is a challenge! I think this will be it for me! 3 years of fresh ideas and I am, well, fresh out! ;)

      Delete
  3. That riddle review idea is just too cute and fun! I'm feelin ya on the 5 a.m. wake up call....not a good time here either....I am hopeful tomorrow will be better too...lol:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love ALL of your posts, and the best part aside from enjoying you, is that I learn new stuff all the time!

    Amy Howbert
    Little Miss Organized
    amyhowbert1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your riddle review looks like so much fun!! And this morning was definitely hard for me too!! I have a feeling this whole week will be!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this idea! I can't wait to incorporate it into my ASD room... I think it's fabulous and am so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome! I am going to make one for my kiddos on Thursday. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loooove your riddle reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You riddle review sounds great. Can you post one or put one on TPT? I am a visual person and I need to see more pictures or cards to get ideas. Thanks. Your ideas and products are great! I love them all.

    Cindy
    CL14mentor@oh.rr.com

    ReplyDelete